Plastic optical fiber cables, (or, more simply, plastic fiber) are optical fibers which transmit luminous signals. Unlike well-known traditional glass optical fibers used for long distance transmissions, plastic fibers are made of polymeric material (plastic) inside.
This polymeric material makes this cable particularly robust and easy to use for every one, so it is suitable also for difficult installation situations. Cable termination and reparation require basic electrician tools, which make these plastic cables extremely cost-effective in terms of installation and maintenance.
LiteWIRE has many features which help the installer carry out the installation directly and in any condition:
- like any fiber, it just carries light no electricity: it is an electrical insulator, prevents the risk of electrical shock for installers and users, eliminates groud loops and all electromagnetic interferences, it can be run in the same conduits as electrical wires
- Easy to terminate and repair with basic electrician’s tools (watch video )
- Devices for plastic fiber use visible light (LED), no LASER: this means you can see the light coming out of the cable safely (no instruments needed)
- Fiber diameter is 1mm (much thicker than glass fibers)
- Fiber tip and connectors can be touched and work also if humid or wet.